Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS). The objective of the Project is the improvement of the environmental behaviour of companies under the preventive focus in three main areas:
- Research to improve the energy efficiency in the wood and furniture sector.
- Design of tables and container furniture to improve their assembly and disassembly.
Origin prevention of Volatile Organic Compound (VOC´s) changing the paints and varnishes formulation using alternative solvents.
The main activities developed during the project are:
- Detailed analysis of the energetic consume in the wood and furniture companies. Research on more efficient technologies to reduce the energy demand of enterprises and on equipment to optimise the supply and consume conditions of this energy. Almost, there have been developed energetic studies to representative companies of the sector, assessing them how to improve their energy efficiency and useful global conclusions regarding critical points and improvements were extracted.
- Research on design of tables and container furniture, to optimise their end of life. It has been carried out a complete analysis of the several kina of unions used in these types of furniture, regarding their contribution to an easier assembly and disassembly. From more of 20 furniture disassembly test, recommendations to designers were developed to achieve the objective of facilitate the material separation and later recycling.
- Study regarding the formulation of paints and varnishes usually used in the wood and furniture sector and their VOCs emissions. Research on alternative solvents and evaluation of the feasibility of use them in new formulations from the technical, environmental and economic point of view.