The overall objectives of this project were:
- To provide a rapid, low cost, one-stop shop assessment of comfort for the SME furniture manufacturer, to aid them in the design and manufacture of furniture with added value, to help meet the consumers requirements.
- To provide a means, for the first time, of evaluating the comfort properties of finished chairs in a range of forms, such as high-backed medical chairs and office chairs, in the laboratory and so enable design features such as seat height and back height to be optimised in a cost-effective and speedy manner.
- To provide industry with a valuable tool for the measurement of comfort; which will ensure its survival and growth, and address the threats that exist from outside Europe.
- To help address the problems of the ageing population, and in particular, the associated health issues.
- To enable furniture manufacturers and suppliers to offer differentiated products with appropriate service performance and high levels of customer acceptance.